Sunday, January 3, 2010

Urgent plea for unknown Pit Bull puppy at heartstick shelter in Clayton county, GA

I received this email today from my friend Emily regarding a pit bull puppy at Jonesboro, GA Clayton county animal control. This little puppy has no chance of adoption to the public as adoption of pitbulls are not allowed there - he is not listed on petfinder as a result - and no photos or videos are allowed within the facility so his photo cannot be promoted to rescue groups who are able to take him. He is unaware of his grim fate, playing, licking, full of love to give- please, please help him if you can. Here is Emily's email:

Hello friends and rescuers,

Please take time to read this. I don't send out many requests but this one is very personal to me.

Yesterday on my way home from a transport to Atlanta I stopped in at Clayton Co Animal Control in Jonesboro, GA. I try not to go there very often as I always leave feeling depressed and impotent.

If you check Clayton Co's petfinder http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/GA493.html you will not find many dogs listed. That does not meant that there are very few animals there. As they state:

"We have many other animals that are not posted that are available for adoption also. Pitbulls and rotts are a dime a dozen and always in need of help to rescues only.

Clayton Co. Police Dept Animal Control Unit

1396 Government Circle

Jonesboro, GA 30236

Phone 770-477-3684 Fax 770-603-4199

That is why I hate going into their animal control. The majority of dogs there are pitties. Most are adults, many are friendly, none are adoptable. Almost all will die by heartstick, a needle inserted directly (if not missed) into the heart. Few are rescued. They said it aptly "they are a dime a dozen.'

I am sending this out with little hope for a miracle but because I can't NOT try to do something. We can't save them all, we can't even save a few, but I'm praying that someone will save ONE.

At Clayton Co Animal Control there is a beautiful gray/blue pitbull puppy with perfect white markings, about 12 weeks old, in the first run to the left when you enter the kennels. It is the only run accessible on the far left wall before the "no admittance" quarantine runs. I know that pleas for urgent animals are far more effective when a pic is included but I don't have a photo of this puppy as photos and video taping are not allowed at Clayton Co and no pitbulls are put on petfinder.

Even if he were an ugly puppy (is there such a thing?) I would still be pleading for someone ot rescue him because he is the sweetest, friendliest, happiest puppy!!! He wiggled all over and climbed on the cage trying to get to me, licking me through the chainlink.

He was happiness personified and it is eating me up to know that he is going to die. I would not have left that place without him if I were a 501c licensed rescue, but I am not. I am just one person trying to make a difference. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face, doing the only thing I can - reaching out to the rescue community in the faintest hope that someone will read my plea and save this precious life from the needle.

Emily aka cherryharley

No comments:

Post a Comment